CA ing bridge pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:17:27 -0600

>         Thanks for your replies.  I have some thin CA on order from
> Pianotek and
>plan to give a try.  I have one piano that gets rather negatively affected
>by low RH% in the winter, and am anxious to see if it helps with the false
>beats.

It's very likely that it will help.

>I'm pretty convinced that it's not a long-term concern (or even
>short-term with a little heat applied) to pull the pins if needed, but it's
>an interesting question about the longevity of the benefits if the bond is
>not in fact a real strong one.

The bond isn't important, never was. It's the support that does it. A new
pin in a new cap isn't bonded to the cap, but it is solidly supported
(ideally) and doesn't produce false beats.

>Do some use heat to help pull the CA down
>around the pin, or does the thin stuff do this well enough on it's own?
>
>Jeff Stickney, RPT

No heat. Thin CA goes plenty deep all by itself. Deeper than you need, in
fact. The critical area of pin support is right at the surface of the cap,
and the CA tends to disappear into the depths of the hole around the pin.
Repeat applications until the stuff stays around the pin at the surface,
and you'll get the best results.

Ron N