Pinning and Tone

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:30:43 -0600

   Thanks for your thoughts on this, Don.
   Going back to the original question, which had to do with current Steinway
production and specs, I'd like to offer a little info I got from the factory this week
(just got back from a week long seminar). First, how they produce the parts in
the factory. The process is as follows:
1) Insert bushing cloth in hole - the cloth has glue on one side, but otherwise is
unadulterated bushing felt. (Glue is activated by heat, or maybe microwaves or
something. The glue is dry when inserted, somewhat like Renner bushing
cloth).
2) Insert sizing pin, and set up a fairly large number of parts in a fixture.
3) Dip the fixture into a teflon solution (just the protruding bushings - the fixture
is designed to have just a small portion exposed).
4) Allow to dry.
5) Remove sizing pin and pin parts together.
   That's it. I was careful to ask enough questions to determine that there were no
further steps (eg, no burnishing). The teflon solution is not emralon/permalon. It
has a solvent that is too volatile for shipping (hence not offered to techs). I
examined the fixtures, and found dried teflon residue that felt and acted like thin
sheet teflon (broke off a bit and fooled around with it. FWIW, it is white when
dry).
   Current doctrine is that Steinway wants 1 to 3 grams friction, and that the teflon
most definitely makes a firmer action center than untreated felt. This from a
couple people in technical support and C & A. They say they definitely want the
lower friction - that it produces better responding action. This is by design.
   I must say I was impressed by the action portion of the factory. It has been
completely re-tooled and reorganized over the past 15 years. We had lunch with
the guy who oversaw that for a period of ten years (and is now in over-all quality
control). Very impressive person (I'm bad at names, and promptly forgot it). He
was quite open about how bad things were when he started. Worn out
machines - out of tolerance, slip shod production methods. That was when they
were using Renner parts in B's and D's in production. Now all are made in NYC,
and production of parts is enough that they are closer to keeping up with orders
from the field.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

Quoting Don Mannino <dmannino@kawaius.com>:

snip
> - Too little friction causes no problems in tone at all in and of
> itself.  It is only because we are using cloth bushings that low
> friction results in poor tone because the hammer is not controlled
> in
> its motion well enough.  Please understand me here - if you have a
> very,
> very firm bushing that will pin with low friction and still have
> excellent side control, the tone should be fine.  It is the
> limitation
> of using a soft bushing material that forces us to pin with
> sufficient
> friction to get the control we need.  It is not the friction itself
> which gives good tone - it is the firmness of the bushing.
snip