Pinning and Tone

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:48:52 +0200

  De : caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]De la part de Joe
  Envoyé : jeudi 23 octobre 2003 19:02
  À : College and University Technicians
  Objet : Re: Pinning and Tone

    From: David's Email
    To: oleg-i@noos.fr ; College and University Technicians
    Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 9:24 AM
    Subject: Re: Pinning and Tone

    With a handle

    David I.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Isaac sur Noos
      To: College and University Technicians
      Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 12:56 AM

      Don Mannino, hello,

      I noticed that Kaway with their ABS flange tend to take too much play
in the pinning indeed. As I understand it, because when the bushing grows,
the part can't swell because of the material, and when getting dry after,
some play is installed.

      I came to a few pianos where the birseye itself have developped
ovalisation with time (1978 models).
      So, while I like a lot the grand jack, I am far from convinced with
the other parts, for instance noise and extra friction on RX... grand
whippen lever, kind of feeling the weight and texture of the damper lever in
RX series.

      ABS does not give as tone, only thump. And I regret this, because I
appreciate your grands, after having installed in them firm Yamaha front
punchings (discard those cotton style punchings !) and regulate them so the
touch is more light, they tone very well generally (I mean for the
soundboard/strings/hammers parts)

      By the way are the broaches you sell to be used without a handle ?.

      Best Regards.

      Isaac OLEG

      Entretien et réparation de pianos.

      PianoTech