piano class

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:36:24 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/2003 10:30:43 AM Central Standard Time,
jtanner@mozart.sc.edu writes:
Our "Introduction to Piano Technology" workshop, in which
I was one of the first students back in 1984, was discontinued after 3
years due to lack of enrollment.
Jeff

The course I proposed is NOT a technology class. However, when I talked with
the chairman of the graduate program, which rejected the class, he told me the
reason the committee rejected the course is because they thought it was a
piano technology class. Unfortunately, apparently none of the graduate faculty
committee read the first page of my proposal, which specifically stated that the
class was NOT a technology course. So much for college professors reading the
assignment. I won't get into specifics, but I think part of the reason they
rejected the class is because it might have students taking my class instead of
one of their classes. Imagine that, students wanting to take a class they can
actually use, instead of a class the professors want to teach to make them
look good.

On the other hand, if you really think you'd get enough response, I
could see a two-week workshop between semesters being a good format for
a piano parts and functions class.  You might have a better chance of
getting something like that approved.
I asked the chairman about this, and he suggested I contact that department.
There is a 2 week interim program offered through the extension service
between the end of the spring semester and the beginning of summer school. Classes
in this program do not need to be approved by the faculty, but some of them can
be taken for credit. So I might pursue this.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Wim