caut Digest, Vol 317, Issue 1

Iain Colquhoun irc@medeco.co.uk
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:03:36 +0100

Today's Topics:

    1. Re: performance piano policies (Keith McGavern)
    2. RE: Steinway "pinning" dilemma (Fred Sturm)
    3. Re: Steinway "pinning" dilemma
    4. Re: Steinway "pinning" dilemma (Horace Greeley)
    5. Steinway 45 upright (Clarence Zeches)
    6. Re: Steinway 45 upright
    7. Re: Steinway 45 upright
    8. Re: Steinway 45 upright (Ed Sutton)
    9. Steinway 45 upright  (Jon Page)
   10. Re: Steinway "pinning" dilemma (Tim Coates)
   11. RE: Steinway 45 upright  (Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel))
   12. Re: Steinway "pinning" dilemma (Horace Greeley)
   13. RE: Steinway 45 upright  (Don)

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:10:55 -0500
From: Keith McGavern <kam544@gbronline.com>
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: performance piano policies

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:49:11 -0600
From: Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Steinway "pinning" dilemma
Message: 2

 > --On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 7:55 PM -0600 Roger Jolly
 > <roger.j@sasktel.net> wrote:
 >

 >>> Hi Fred,
 >>
 >>                   4gms of friction seems to be the optimum for tone
 >> production, _as it keeps the knuckle firmly in contact with the
balancier_.
snip
 >> Regards Roger.

Roger,
         Looking at this more carefully, I have to disagree with you as to the
mechanism for the tonal effect of firm pinning. From the point of view of
the hammer being thrown to the string, I think mass, inertia, and leverage
are plenty to maintain firm contact between knuckle and jack. Where lack of
firmness has its effect is in the wobble that is introduced during the
throw of the hammer, and even more so the wobble upon impact with the
string (ie, what the hammer does during the time it remains in contact). So
from a purely tonal point of view, I don't think friction per se plays a
role.
         Where it does have an effect is in the neuro-muscular response of the
pianist. I am convinced that a fine pianist can feel the difference between
2 and 4 grams friction in a hammershank center, in terms of what needs to
be done to create the final velocity of the hammer, and that 4 grams will
be found preferable in allowing more nuanced control. But even more
important is evenness from note to note. Better all 2 gram than higglety
pigglety with an average of 4 grams.
         All of this is more in the realm of mental picturing than  measurable
physics, because it is next to impossible to separate one factor from the
others with any reliability. You have to assume travel, square hanging of
hammers, evenness of felt density and elasticity, evenness of shank
firmness/sponginess, etc., etc. But when all you do to a fly away action is
repin it, the result is usually quite dramatic, at least in my experience.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
------------------------------

<< Looking at this more carefully, I have to disagree with you as to the
mechanism for the tonal effect of firm pinning. From the point of view of
the hammer being thrown to the string, I think mass, inertia, and leverage
are plenty to maintain firm contact between knuckle and jack. Where lack of
firmness has its effect is in the wobble that is introduced during the
throw of the hammer, and even more so the wobble upon impact with the
string (ie, what the hammer does during the time it remains in contact). So
from a purely tonal point of view, I don't think friction per se plays a
role. >>

Hmm,  there is more to be explored here than I have time to, but there are
some divergent ideas in my mind about how pinnng affects tone.  I don't
totally
accept that it is wobble in the hammer during its approach to the string, nor
loss of contact between knuckle and jack.
    I think it is wobble during contact, caused by the restorative forces of
the displaced string imparting some energy back to the hammer/shank
structure.
I think the pinning is responsible for supplying a degree of impedance to the
hammer and shank.  Without this "anchoring mechanism", the shank absorbs the
transient shock of contact and by its unfettered vibration, causes a short
interference between the hammer and string.  Perhaps the shank goes into a
momentary random oscillation during contact which causes the tone to suffer, I
dunno.  I do know that pinning up from 1 gram to 5 makes a clear difference in
tone.

    I say this because the sound of a loose pin is readily apparent on a very
soft blow, where I wouldn't expect a lot of hammer wobble or shank flex to be
in play.  I asked a tympanist about controlling the sound by how firmly he
gripped the mallets and he said "Of course, there is a wide range of tone
available depending on how firmly you hold the sticks".  (that may or may
not be
germane).

Another consideration in bushing tightness and action resistance is that when
a firm blow is delivered, the bushing cloth compresses on the "away" side,
effectively only touching one side of the bushing. (If you look at a pin in
the
bushing under a magnifying glass while applying pressure, you will see it move
into one side of the cloth, can there be much friction from the unloaded
side?).  I wouldn't want to bet that a pianist could pick out notes that had 2
grams less friction in the hammer flange!
regards,

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
  <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">
MP3.com: Six Degrees of Tonality</A>
------------------------------

 ><< Looking at this more carefully, I have to disagree with you as to the
 >mechanism for the tonal effect of firm pinning. From the point of view of
 >the hammer being thrown to the string, I think mass, inertia, and leverage
 >are plenty to maintain firm contact between knuckle and jack. Where lack of
 >firmness has its effect is in the wobble that is introduced during the
 >throw of the hammer, and even more so the wobble upon impact with the
 >string (ie, what the hammer does during the time it remains in contact). So
 >from a purely tonal point of view, I don't think friction per se plays a
 >role. >>
 >
 >Hmm,  there is more to be explored here than I have time to, but there are
 >some divergent ideas in my mind about how pinnng affects tone.  I don't
 >totally
 >accept that it is wobble in the hammer during its approach to the string, nor
 >loss of contact between knuckle and jack.

Agreed.

 >    I think it is wobble during contact, caused by the restorative forces of
 >the displaced string imparting some energy back to the hammer/shank
 >structure.
 >I think the pinning is responsible for supplying a degree of impedance to the
 >hammer and shank.  Without this "anchoring mechanism", the shank absorbs the
 >transient shock of contact and by its unfettered vibration, causes a short
 >interference between the hammer and string.  Perhaps the shank goes into a
 >momentary random oscillation during contact which causes the tone to
 >suffer, I
 >dunno.  I do know that pinning up from 1 gram to 5 makes a clear
 >difference in
 >tone.

Definitely.

 >    I say this because the sound of a loose pin is readily apparent on a very
 >soft blow, where I wouldn't expect a lot of hammer wobble or shank flex to be
 >in play.  I asked a tympanist about controlling the sound by how firmly he
 >gripped the mallets and he said "Of course, there is a wide range of tone
 >available depending on how firmly you hold the sticks".  (that may or may
 >not be
 >germane).

That is why I suggested the recordings that I did - this effect is very
obvious.

 >Another consideration in bushing tightness and action resistance is that when
 >a firm blow is delivered, the bushing cloth compresses on the "away" side,
 >effectively only touching one side of the bushing. (If you look at a pin
 >in the
 >bushing under a magnifying glass while applying pressure, you will see it
 >move
 >into one side of the cloth, can there be much friction from the unloaded
 >side?).  I wouldn't want to bet that a pianist could pick out notes that
 >had 2
 >grams less friction in the hammer flange!

Actually, I have worked with several and know of a few more.  People who
can with whom I have directly worked include(d): Menachem Pressler, John
Perry, Jim Boyk, Alfred Brendl, Anton Kuerti, a couple of others.  People
who have been reported to me as being able to include: Ivan Moravec, and
Slatislav Richter.

Jim Boyk, who has been Artist in Residence at Cal Tech for roughly 30 years
can not only accurately detect variations of less than 2 gms between keys,
he can also accurately describe jack placement under the knuckle to +/- <
0.5mm.  This is very scary the first time one encounters it.

Pressler works more intuitively - less reductively - but just as
accurately.  Think of an architect who "sees masses" which "describe"
certain "shapes".  The challenge there is being able to translate the
generality to the specific.

All of this being said - those folks comprise a pretty rarified
atmosphere.  Moreover, it is not always those whose names are better known
who have the most sensitive touch...sadly, it is quite often the case that
they do not.

Best.

Horace