Capo Buzz/the bigger issue

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:08:52 -0400

Hi Lance,
     Sad this customer is depressed.  Many new piano owners question us about what they hear to see if they should be worried. Often reassurance is all they want, or validation the piano is a good one.  Even the best contain compromises, minor annoying noises,  harsh qualities, relative weak ranges / notes, whangs, twangs, pings etc.   Any one could become a warranty issue.
      I would fix/minimize/compromise using only reversible methods.  In fact, I personally wouldn't alter the plate on any new piano if the builder told me to.  (Too much liability and hassle).  Let the customer decide how much tone they will sacrifice to reduce the noise,  but guide them to a good decision.  (For a stage,  any noise that doesn't reach the first row really isn't worth compromising tone for, but it's the artists decision always)

-Mike Jorgensen