Capo Buzz

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:15:44 -0700

Lance,

By all means weave in a small piece of flange bushing cloth or yarn in the
duplex length. Moving it tight up against the duplex (away from the capo)
will minimize the deadening effect on the speaking length.

You can test how much deadening there might be using your finger on the
duplex. Repeatedly strike the key of the offending note and alternately
touch and lift your finger off the duplex length. Touch the duplex in
different spots closer and farther from the duplex. All the while listen to
the tone, projection, sustain of the note. Touching nearer the capo will
often deaden the tone, but not always. There are hundreds if not thousands
of grands (not just S&S) that have little bits of felt woven in the duplex
length to cut off those annoying high harmonics. You can often do this
without deadening the tone. Test it for yourself.

As has been said very well here, it is not a cure. But sometimes it is the
only option you have.

Alan McCoy
Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University