Capo Buzz

Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:33:41 +0200

> Lance Lafargue wrote:
>
> So I guess my narrowed question is, given all of these excellent
> posts, is:  With a new B, should I increase the angle and slightly
> narrow the bar on the speaking length side, given everything else I
> have tried?  Is there some consensus, given the problems with the
> design?  And how do I determine if I have a “soft” V-bar?  Voicing did
> nothing permanent but continue to weaken the piano.  I plan to call
> Steinway first before I do anything further.  This owner of a new B is
> currently, officially, depressed  ;  )

A soft V bar can be heard while filing. It << grinds >> instead of <<
shrilling >> at you... at least thats what the difference sounds like to
me. I have never run into a Steinway capo that was hardened in the sense
McMorrow refers to, and hence I wouldnt worry a bit about bringing your
capo down to a 0.5 mm V. I've done this to at least a hundred pianos
through the years and the string breakage that results has been null. I
aggree 100 percent with Ed's observations as to the usefullness of this
proceedure.

In fact...I have begun to question the idea that strings break from too
sharp a termination at all. I've just seen too many examples where  very
sharp profiles are used, with generous amounts of counterbearing with no
string breakage problems.

> I may first experiment with yarn in the duplex and PVCE glue on that
> segment, before shaping the bar.

I wouldnt advise using glues or the like here.. but suggest you opt for
an easily reversable proceedure.

> Lance Lafargue, RPT

Cheers
RicB