capo buzz

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:32:47 +0000

Hi Lance,

Just pulling the strings up to pitch will make a groove.  Then, if there is
any spacing that is done, that makes more marks.  Add rubbing the strings to
try to remove string bends, and the capo can get marked up pretty quickly,
even on a new instrument.  Also, if you are having problems close to a
strut, many times the capo is too wide in that area as the casting flares
out to join the strut.  Make sure when you are done reshaping and dressing
the area, that you space the strings as you pull up to pitch, not after.
See if braiding something works first, then make sure someone will pay for
all the capo work before digging into this!

Ron Koval
Concordia U.

  I am told that the main problem lies in the V bar, not in the hammer, =
and that smoothing the bar with sandpaper will clean up the termination =
and permanently fix the buzz.  This is one of the few things I did not =
do, since I was really originally only out for a warranty tuning  ;  )   =
Thoughts? =20

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es