Lacquer application

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:20:03 -0400

Jim,

It's been awhile since I made up my last mixture, but I'd estimate somethin=
like this: after making up a solution that's as thick as possible (until no
more tops will dissolve in the acetone), I probably cut that with about 4:1
acetone to base solution and use that as a starting point. Probably I go
even thinner than that. Next time I do it I'll weigh the two and see. I jus=
bought some of those pellets for the first time.

The important thing for me when I'm using this for detail (or evening?)
voicing is to make it thin enough that I can soak it down into the hammer
(not just on top) and yet have the result be as subtle as I need, and not
overdone. I don't want to have to needle down a hammer that I've put too
much plastic into. If I want to just put a drop on the strike point (maybe
just to give the attack a little more definition), or even just on one
string line, I'd use a solution not quite as thin, otherwise I'll get no
result at all.

One of the virtues of putting it on real thin is that if it's not enough it
only takes another 15 minutes to put another application on. You can work i=
up gradually. And also, probably the less of this stuff you put in a hammer
the better. We're talking about subtle tweaking here...

For me I guess it's become a feel thing, or rather a "see" thing. You get t=
the point where you can pretty much tell by looking through the bottle or
squirting a drop or two onto something (especially if you have a bottle of
the ultra thick base solution to compare it to) how much effect it will
have.  Sort of like with lacquer, although I never trust my eyes with that
since there's so much more at stake if your eyes deceive you!

One time, in a hurry and not paying attention, I used the wrong bottle on a
hammer and irrevocably destroyed it! Fortunately not a concert piano, and
old hammers that need to be replaced anyway.

Hope this is useful.

Allen Wright