Capo Buzz

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:53:04 +0200

> Lance Lafargue wrote:
>
> I am told that the main problem lies in the V bar, not in the hammer,
> and that smoothing the bar with sandpaper will clean up the
> termination and permanently fix the buzz.  This is one of the few
> things I did not do, since I was really originally only out for a
> warranty tuning  ;  )    Thoughts?

Thats about the size of it. A good peice of advice was tossed out by one
of us a bit back... find one of the worst offending buzzers. Loosen the
strings in the immediate vicinity and pull them out of the way so you
can dress up the capo for that note. Small file, 0.5 mm "V" profile is
what McMorrow recommends. I have found that to yeild a clean crisp
sound. Use a small vanity mirror and a good light and be carefull not to
file off the leading edge surface of the capo

Give it a try on a couple notes and see what the result is. All these
other solutions with braiding or the like really amount to attempts to
muffle an unwanted noise, instead of relieving the cause.

MO

RicB

--
Richard Brekne