Pinning and Tone

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:13:23 -0400

Fred wrote-

>    I'll just suggest here that use of the Stanwood flange might not quite be the
> same as re-pinning. In re-pinning, there is also a question of firmness in the
> interface between pin, felt and wood - where one is affecting the dimension of
> the felt (and largely by compression more than by removal of material, if one is
> doing what should normally be done) - more or less evenly around the whole
> circumference of the pin. I _think_ there might well be a difference. The set
> screws (I remember only one set screw, but could be mistaken) operate from
> only one direction (each). They could well increase friction, but allow
> "sloppiness" in other directions.
>    Friction per se would most likely affect only the dwell time of the hammer on
> the string. Firmness in isolation would have its greatest effect on the wobble
(or
> lack of same) of the shank during the stroke and rebound, and hence on what
> the hammer is doing while in contact. I am picturing those high speed films,
> showing all kinds of vibration and flopping around of shank and hammer.
>    As several have mentioned already, this is the sort of thing that is next to
> impossible to test with reliable experiments. Maybe we're best to rely on what
> our experience has at least seemed to demonstrate, together with our mental
> picture of why (though often the two are hard to reconcile).
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico

Fred-

    I agree with your assessment of the limitations of testing with the "Stanwood
flange," but I think it's a place to start.  The experiment would be controlled
for one variable, and the hammer alignment would not be changed.
    If the experiment shows a different wave form, then great, something has been
experimentally confirmed.  If not, then everything else you said is still true.
Either way, we continue doing everything we can to make pianos sound better.
    I wish it were possible to get high speed films of the action at work in the
piano, but so far as I know that takes a very expensive lab set-up and is done
with action models, not real pianos.

Jim Ellis-

    If you want to do this, and want me to help, I would be honored!

Ed Sutton