Pinning and Tone

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:27:08 -0700

Hi,

Very engaging thread. Question tho. We can measure friction easy enough by
either a gram gauge or a swing test, or both. Though this measures "gross"
friction and doesn't address unevenness within a flange's bushings.

We can create a firm bushing, we hope, by several methods - using high
quality felt, burnishing, sizing, "zapping" lightly or somehow heating the
pin to iron the felt. But how does one test for firmness in any
quantitative, definitive way?

Alan