Lacquer application

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:49:05 -0500

This is related to my other post, but different....

When prepping new Steinways, does it matter where the lacquer is applied
and can this contribute to the zinging sounds mentioned in my V-Bar
post?

In other words, if the lacquer is applied from the crown (very top) as
opposed to the shoulders and allowed to wick up to the crown from the
sides, could this add to the amount of material sitting near the outer
surface of the top of the hammer, adding to the difficulty with zinging?
Could the application of hardener to the shoulder and allowing it to
wick to the top help to minimize the unwanted high frequencies while
allowing firm support to the shoulders giving volume and power?

I have found the use of acetone/key top solution to increase this
unwanted noise over lacquer.   Thanks!

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG