Capo Buzz

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:39:46 -0700

Buzzing as you describe means leakage through the capo bar.  Though you can mute off the duplex, it will kill the tone.  Try lifting the strings on both sides of the capo bar.  Massage the strings from underneath is the best way with an old Steinway agraffe inserted into a combination handle (they fit perfectly).  Massage all three strings at once to keep them level.  If that doesn't work then it's not that difficult to lightly dress the capo bar on that note with a small file.  Take down the tension on the unison in question and unhitch at the hitchpin.  Pull the string through and out of the way, you can take it off the coil if you want, but it's not necessary.  Using a mirror and a flashlight so you can see what you are doing, file gently on both sides of the bar taking the tip of the "v" down to about .5 mm.  Polish with a strip of 1000 grit wet/dry paper.  Mix a solution of half 3in1oil,. half WD40 in a small bottle or hypo oiler.  Take a small bit on a q-tip and wipe a thin film over the "v" where you have filed.  (I use this solution after dressing the "v" and before stringing--thin wipe of film only).  Put the string back on and see what happens.  It should solve the problem.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Lance Lafargue
To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 10/14/2003 7:32:11 PM
Subject: Capo Buzz

I have always struggled with the capo buzz in many pianos. Young Chang/Prambergers I’ve never succeeded with, Steinways, I usually can do it.   I have discussed this many times with many techs.  I am exhausted after a 14 hour day with three B’s one of which is still giving me fits.  It is a new Steinway B, prepped by a large reputable dealer.  The piano was/is nice.  But it was a little bright after some play and I went in, pitch raised it, stopped sympathetic aliquot ringing, leveled strings with my Mother Goose leveling tool, fit hammers to strings, worked on damper bleeding, etc.  There were several hammers, especially the first C at the V bar that had a buzzing quality.  I sugar coated/voiced, 3/8” needled the shoulders, evened everything out, got it acceptable, and the buzzing returned, a bit.  Enough to bug the customer.

After more sugar coating (shallow needling at crown) and more 3/8” inch needles just off of the string marks (both straight down and in at an angle), I am at the point where I am killing the bell quality and volume to extinguish the metallic buzzes.  I believe these hammers were hardened with lacquer, not key top solution.  Tapping strings onto bridges, done, seating strings at every termination point, done.  This exists to some extent throughout the V bar area.  This is the buzzing that goes away when you put your finger on the front duplex section.  Just hoping I may hear something new (hoping not to hear a buzz).  I appreciate any new suggestions, I am so worn out!

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO