Capo Buzz

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:04:54 -0400

Lance,

This may not be a new suggestion, but: if the buzzing goes away when you
apply your finger to the front duplex, then why not weave a small piece of
cloth between the strings on that note? I do that quite frequently on notes
on which no other fixes work. You lose a little top end, of course - but if
the customer is the type that's bothered by these zings (and not everyone
is, of course) then hopefully losing some high frequencies won't bother
them.

And before someone suggests that this is (or should be) a verboten technique
that evades the real problem, I should say that I've seen this resorted to
by folks in NY.

As you may also know, a little dab of titebond, or nail polish, or some
such, will also make a difference, although not quite as noticeable. I know
one tech who uses small strip of leather, although that seems like overkill
to me. I find it useful to experiment with different widths of cloth. Also,
moving it in or out has more or less effect - sort of like pulling organ
stops...

Respectfully,

Allen Wright

----------
From: Lance Lafargue <lancelafargue@bellsouth.net>
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Capo Buzz
Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2003, 10:32 PM

I have always struggled with the capo buzz in many pianos. Young
Chang/Prambergers Ive never succeeded with, Steinways, I usually can do it.
I have discussed this many times with many techs.  I am exhausted after a 14
hour day with three Bs one of which is still giving me fits.  It is a new
Steinway B, prepped by a large reputable dealer.  The piano was/is nice.
But it was a little bright after some play and I went in, pitch raised it,
stopped sympathetic aliquot ringing, leveled strings with my Mother Goose
leveling tool, fit hammers to strings, worked on damper bleeding, etc. There
were several hammers, especially the first C at the V bar that had a buzzing
quality.  I sugar coated/voiced, 3/8 needled the shoulders, evened
everything out, got it acceptable, and the buzzing returned, a bit.  Enough
to bug the customer.

After more sugar coating (shallow needling at crown) and more 3/8 inch
needles just off of the string marks (both straight down and in at an
angle), I am at the point where I am killing the bell quality and volume to
extinguish the metallic buzzes.  I believe these hammers were hardened with
lacquer, not key top solution. Tapping strings onto bridges, done, seating
strings at every termination point, done.  This exists to some extent
throughout the V bar area.  This is the buzzing that goes away when you put
your finger on the front duplex section.  Just hoping I may hear something
new (hoping not to hear a buzz).  I appreciate any new suggestions, I am so
worn out!

Lance Lafargue, RPT

LAFARGUE PIANOS

New Orleans Chapter, PTG