Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:41:46 -0400

Ed,
On occasion, I notice subtle differences in tone while tuning, based on
my key striking technique.  I don't know that I could describe the
difference in the strike, other than rather than simply pounding, the
stroke is accelerated through.  But I notice a difference in tone, and
can also detect subtle differences in regulation with the "accelerated
keystroke" technique, where I don't notice slight differences in
regulation from simply pounding.

Jeff