Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:38:43 -0400

Fred,
I'll have to back Roger up on this one.  I don't have a physics degree,
so I can't explain why, but when I repinned our D last fall for our
faculty member's recital, her very first comment was in regards to how
I had improved the tone.  Yes, I tapped the bridge pins and settled the
strings to the capo, but I heard the difference in tone before I did
those things.  Perhaps it was a psychological sensation due to the
increased control of the mechanism.  But that was her first statement.

Jeff