Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:38:30 -0700

Tim,

At 08:04 AM 10/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone remember the classes Chris Robinson did using a Realtime
>Spectrum Analyzer (borrowed from Kurztweil Company)?  I know it was in
>Philadelphia about 12 years ago.  Using a mechanism to create an even blow
>and recorded with the analyzer he showed how repinning to proper specs (at
>that time 6 grams) changed dramatically the tone of a particular note.
>
>Pretty eye opening.  Previously people speculated about the tonal affects
>of proper flange friction.  He showed it scientifically to be true.

Yes - this was one of the best classes ever presented by anyone anyplace.

Chris had several that were all at that same level.  12 years ago was about
at the time when Chris stopped teaching.  As with a couple of other
well-known instructors, all of his material was clearly announced as being
under copyright; and a number of us were hoping that this meant an eventual
publication of some very important stuff.  So far, that has not been the case.

As Roger noted about his demonstrations of pinning, there were any number
of "slack-jawed" technicians at the end of Chris' classes.  Nothing like
meticulous reductive research and careful demonstration to clear the
air.  I remember sitting with several prominent factory folks who spent
most of the class time squirming in their chairs...I rather enjoyed it,
actually.

Horace