Steinway "pinning" dilemma

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:03:21 EDT

Fred writes:

<< Looking at this more carefully, I have to disagree with you as to the
mechanism for the tonal effect of firm pinning. From the point of view of
the hammer being thrown to the string, I think mass, inertia, and leverage
are plenty to maintain firm contact between knuckle and jack. Where lack of
firmness has its effect is in the wobble that is introduced during the
throw of the hammer, and even more so the wobble upon impact with the
string (ie, what the hammer does during the time it remains in contact). So
from a purely tonal point of view, I don't think friction per se plays a
role. >>

Hmm,  there is more to be explored here than I have time to, but there are
some divergent ideas in my mind about how pinnng affects tone.  I don't totally
accept that it is wobble in the hammer during its approach to the string, nor
loss of contact between knuckle and jack.
   I think it is wobble during contact, caused by the restorative forces of
the displaced string imparting some energy back to the hammer/shank structure.
I think the pinning is responsible for supplying a degree of impedance to the
hammer and shank.  Without this "anchoring mechanism", the shank absorbs the
transient shock of contact and by its unfettered vibration, causes a short
interference between the hammer and string.  Perhaps the shank goes into a
momentary random oscillation during contact which causes the tone to suffer, I
dunno.  I do know that pinning up from 1 gram to 5 makes a clear difference in
tone.

   I say this because the sound of a loose pin is readily apparent on a very
soft blow, where I wouldn't expect a lot of hammer wobble or shank flex to be
in play.  I asked a tympanist about controlling the sound by how firmly he
gripped the mallets and he said "Of course, there is a wide range of tone
available depending on how firmly you hold the sticks".  (that may or may not be
germane).

Another consideration in bushing tightness and action resistance is that when
a firm blow is delivered, the bushing cloth compresses on the "away" side,
effectively only touching one side of the bushing. (If you look at a pin in the
bushing under a magnifying glass while applying pressure, you will see it move
into one side of the cloth, can there be much friction from the unloaded
side?).  I wouldn't want to bet that a pianist could pick out notes that had 2
grams less friction in the hammer flange!
regards,

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">