Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:49:11 -0600

> --On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 7:55 PM -0600 Roger Jolly
> <roger.j@sasktel.net> wrote:
>

>>> Hi Fred,
>>
>>                   4gms of friction seems to be the optimum for tone
>> production, _as it keeps the knuckle firmly in contact with the
balancier_.
snip
>> Regards Roger.

Roger,
	Looking at this more carefully, I have to disagree with you as to the
mechanism for the tonal effect of firm pinning. From the point of view of
the hammer being thrown to the string, I think mass, inertia, and leverage
are plenty to maintain firm contact between knuckle and jack. Where lack of
firmness has its effect is in the wobble that is introduced during the
throw of the hammer, and even more so the wobble upon impact with the
string (ie, what the hammer does during the time it remains in contact). So
from a purely tonal point of view, I don't think friction per se plays a
role.
	Where it does have an effect is in the neuro-muscular response of the
pianist. I am convinced that a fine pianist can feel the difference between
2 and 4 grams friction in a hammershank center, in terms of what needs to
be done to create the final velocity of the hammer, and that 4 grams will
be found preferable in allowing more nuanced control. But even more
important is evenness from note to note. Better all 2 gram than higglety
pigglety with an average of 4 grams.
	All of this is more in the realm of mental picturing than  measurable
physics, because it is next to impossible to separate one factor from the
others with any reliability. You have to assume travel, square hanging of
hammers, evenness of felt density and elasticity, evenness of shank
firmness/sponginess, etc., etc. But when all you do to a fly away action is
repin it, the result is usually quite dramatic, at least in my experience.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico