Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:31:27 -0600

Hi Roger,
	I agree 4 gms is generally optimum for tone production. But it isn't
altogether a matter of friction. You can get 4 gms with spongy cloth. It's
the firmness that counts. I'm willing to concede it's possible to have the
correct firmness with lower friction - maybe with thicker, heavier emralon
saturating the cloth, the current Steinway centers have that additional
firmness with lower friction. I don't have a bunch of new Steinways to form
any opinion based on practical experience.
	OTOH, I _do_ like 4 gms for action responsiveness - control, and
especially consistent checking (pianissimo) and repetition regulation.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 7:55 PM -0600 Roger Jolly