bobbling hammers, again

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:41:02 -0500

Now what? Do it all again.

But this time keep in mind that the relationship between the tail and
backcheck is critical. The difference between a well-shaped tail and a
badly-shaped tail is very small -- unbelievably small. I came to a
piano a year and a half ago to prepare it for an international piano
competition and the whole section of bass hammers would not check
correctly. The hammers had been installed by the best rebuilder that I
personally know. They didn't work -- at all; but it took only a few
minutes with a sandpaper paddle to change the shape enough to get them
all working just fine.

I don't mean to minimize the other suggestions you have received here.
I was particularly intrigued by the suggestions from Ron O.

Actually, perhaps by now you have already solved the problem.

Don't look at whole sections and conclude each hammer/backcheck is
correct just because they appear similar as you sight down the section.
Look at one hammer that checks correctly and the one beside it that
doesn't. Feel the shape of the tails. Find the difference. Or from the
checked position, push a hammer (that checks correctly) down deeper
into check, and then do the same with the one next to it that does not
check correctly. Does the one that doesn't check really gradually
encounter more resistance like it should as it is forced down, and do
it the same as the one that works correctly?

The difference is there.

Kent