standards

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 9 May 2003 00:20:56 -0500

Greetings Richard West,
     I have a feeling half of you questions can't be answered
unless we are standing beside the particular concert grand, and
listening to it in the hall not only during tuning but also
performance.
     You ask about the 4 :2 ratio "or wider".  This is only a
concern with machines.   Because of the myriad of aural tests, the
4:2 or the 6:3 or the 2:1 are all considered when doing an aural
tuning.
    So I am wondering if you are doubting your training, your
experience, or are trying to decide to spend up to $2,000 on the
ultimate tuning machine.

---rm

<rwest1@unl.edu> wrote:

> > Hello, All,
> >
> > I'm curious about what the "standard" for concert tuning might
be.  How
> > do you tune a concert grand in equal temperament (9' Steinway,
for
> > example)?  What are your standards?  I know pianos vary, but
what are you
> > personally trying to achieve when you tune concert grands?
I'm trying to