standards

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 06 May 2003 08:41:54 -0600

Richard and list,
	I'm happy to share what I do, though I have no idea how it fits with what
anyone else across the country is doing.
1) Temperament wider than 4:2, 5ths slower than "standard", 4ths faster.
2) Mid range wider than 4:2 octaves.
3) 3rds slowest, 10ths faster, 17ths fastest.
4) I look for beatless 16:1 quadruple octaves. This is not all that much
wider than 8:1 triple octaves, which used to be my goal. This only works on
concert grands. But on a concert grand, beatless quads can be tuned
throughout - A0 to C8 (When I was doing triples, I noticed that essentially
I already had quads up to C6). I am quite happy with the beating of single
and double octaves that results. THis does not sound extreme to the ear, at
least to mine. I use an ETD to check, so I don't know how I would produce
these results aurally - don't know as I could. C8 is around +60 cents.
5) 17th beat rates in the lowest octave are in the 1 to 2 per second range.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico