h'chord LM

fssturm@unm.edu fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:45:35 -0700

    I'll echo Dave Doremus. The issue of how far a key should depress
before the plectrum comes in contact with a string is definitely not a
simple one, and if you have never staggered a set of jacks (meaning
adjusting bottom screws - if the jacks have bottom screws - so that the
choirs of jacks pluck in order, evenly spaced), you should probably
avoid messing with them.
    In general, when the harpsichord is fully coupled (all choirs of
jacks engaged) one wants the first jack (usually 4 foot) to pluck
almost instantly - just enough play to allow plectrum to get below the
string and not buzz, with a bit of slack for humidity change. Then one
wants the back 8 foot to come in contact just as the 4 foot completes
plucking, and the front 8 foot to contact when the back 8 foot has
completed plucking. This varies dramatically with how long the plectra
are (which is affected by how evenly the nut bridge is pinned), how
much the plectra extend under the string, and how strong/weak the
plectra are.
    Once you have well-staggered jacks, the "lost motion" for each
choir should be pretty even from note to note (assuming you have a well-
finished instrument with even string spacing and evenly cut and voiced
plectra), but it will vary a lot from choir to choir. Often the upper
keyboard (usually the front 8 foot) will have quite a distance before
plucking, due to being the last in the staggering order plus any lost
motion between lower key and upper when they are coupled.
    Bottom line: there's a lot to learn before one should plunge in and
do turn screws (one reason David Way decided not to have bottom screws
on Zuckermann jacks - so the inexperienced wouldn't "screw" things up,
as he put it). It's not all that hard to do - just like pianos, one
must be finicky and consistent, and understand how one step affects the
next - but it requires experience to do well.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of new mexico