steam and heat, was RE: amazing, but true

Mary Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:17:14 -0500

Hi Fred,

I like your idea about fluffing and ironing wippen heel cloth, which
I was just contemplating on a Baldwin recondition.

>Especially on Steinways, with the tiny jack tail "nub" (is there a
>correct term for this?),

I believe the term is jack "tender." Is that like a chicken tender? I
agree that  uneven wear on let-off punchings is annoying, but have
found just replacing them to be pretty quick and painless. You can
slice them off with everything in place and reglue with white or PVA
glue without even removing the top action from the keys (if you're
careful).

Also liked the method you've outlined for steaming key bushings. I
would imagine that a just little bit of steam does the trick - too
much could be a bad thing! The Pianotek sizing cauls are quite
accurate, and I like to use them to finesse the easing of a rebushing
job as well.

Mary