GH-1 Tone problem

dan tassin dltassinpiano@juno.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:57:28 -0500

Mary,

This is just a thought, but after tapping down the string once again at
the hitch pin, "lightly" at bridge pins, making sure the string is NOT in
a groove on the bridge / capo bar, etc.,  then try resurfacing the hammer
of the problem note, voice the shoulders  with a single needle 2 times on
each side, forward & back sides, then  "sugar-coat"  (as Ron Neblett
calls it)  the hammer right on the two edges (top side) with no more than
2mm penetration starting halfway up one side, around the top, and down
halfway the other side.   Voicing the hammer this way does something
physically to the string to vibrate it in a different way eliminating a
lot of the  "weird" sounds you describe coming out of the piano you are
trying to tune.
        Strange as it may sound, I had a (somewhat) similar problem with
a Kawai KG-3E at the Jr. College I tune/repair for that Don Mannino and
Ron Neblett (whom I talked to about the problem) both recommended this
process.   And ,  IT WORKED !!   I did not rescale or change out a
string(s) thinking it was no good, etc.
        IF after going all through this process and the "weird" tones
persist, then string replacement/scaling, may help.   However, I'd go
through the WHOLE piano to make sure loose screws, "minor" soundboard
cracks, loose debris, etc is still NOT a problem in causing some kind of
frequency vibrations.
        It's just a though and I hope (maybe) I help you remember to do
something you may have already known to do.

Danny Tassin, RPT
Jackson State Comm. College
DLTassinpiano@juno.com