S&S Hammers

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:28:20 -0700

I'm with you, Ed. I don't like lacquer in the crown. I especially don't like
keeping up pianos with lacquer in the crowns over the long term. All my
lacquering has been as you describe, and I've been very happy with results.
(Well, I do occasionally lacquer crowns in the high treble).
    This is the method Steinway taught years ago, or at least what I got from
them, both directly and indirectly. I'm frankly puzzled by the "official" new
procedure -  3:1, totally soaking all the hammers, as the preliminary treatment,
followed by more. It's not a sound I associate with Steinway, or really with
classical music in general.
Regards,
Fred Sturm