S&S Hammers

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:07:23 EST

Richard asks:
<< 3.  How can you dope the shoulders of a hammer and not have it wick
across the crown?

By applying it at about 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock, heavily.  I usually have
sanded the sides of the hammers, and the residual red of the underfelt fibers
wicks in front of the harder, leaving a tell-tale line, or "water-mark" on
the side of the hammer.  When it is done right, there are two half-moons of
lacquered area emanating from the clock positions.  When they meet just at
the tip of the core, there is some un or lightly lacquered felt between the
tip of the core and the strike point.  It is in the shape of a curve-sided
wedge, and when I get here, I am usually really close to what I am finding to
be the optimum sound.
   A hammer like this needs 20 hours of play to begin showing the fullest
spectrum of tone, but the combination of well-supported, resilient felt under
the slight hardness of the string marks will produce tone like nothing else.
I also find that this is a fairly durable treatment, allowing continual
voicing as the hammer is filed down through its service cycle.
    With the totally soaked hammers, I think the tonal compass is shrunk, and
the longevity shortened.  A "shell" is easily treated by adding a drop or two
to the sides where you want them.
Just my .o2
Regards,
Ed

 My experience is that if you don't get enough dope on
the first application, you may never get the piano out of the mellow
range.  Not enough dope creates what Steinway calls a "shell" that
prevents penetration of second or third applications of laquer if it is
needed.  >>

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/