words technical w/piano question

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:46:11 -0600

>As I near the end of my January bulk tunings, I again have been noticing a
>curious thing.  On grand music racks, Why is it that, if there are two
>hinges attaching the rack to the shelf, and the screws are loose - it is
>almost always true that the loose ones will be on the top half of one
>hinge and the bottom of the other.  Hardly ever on both sides of the same
>hinge.
>
>Is it a fizziks thing, or just me...
>
>Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician

Loose screws? It's just you, Conrad.

Tuning ten times the number of pianos outside of universities than inside,
I find ten times the loose screws inside than out. I'm not entirely sure
what that means, but there it is. Being a contract tech, rather than
official inventory, I only see the pianos a couple of times a year. By
then, one or the other music desk hinges is no longer loose - it's detached
or missing altogether, and the other is torn apart by the daily clever
attempts to get it to support fifteen pounds of whatever all by it's
lonesome. I'm getting pretty good at hinge blacksmithing in practice rooms
using just the tools in my case. You know - forge, anvil, etc.

I take a(nother) lyre back tomorrow, that was bifurcated by the clever
moving techniques of whatever portion of the maintenance staff happened to
be available for the last move. It's an S&S B, and yet another lyre stick
incidentally  evaporated in the process. I'm beginning to think it's time
to tool up to make these things, since I'm running out of old beat-up
salvage replacements. It doesn't look that tough.

Ron N