HVAC

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:43:41 -0700

    Let me second Mark's suggestion that this summer's Institute will be of
interest to all who are dealing with/complaining about/suffering from humidity
swings. I guess that covers all of us, no? We'll have three CAUT periods
devoted to Humidity Control in the Institutional Environment, all on Saturday,
July 5.
    For the first period we are hoping to have an engineer with HVAC expertise
(arrangements still being made) to do a presentation and answer questions
concerning whole building systems. This is obviously an area where we need
hard facts and greater understanding, so that we can effectively advise and
lobby in our own institutions. It's not enough to cry out for humidity
control. We need to have a basic knowledge of how it works, how much it costs,
whether it is really feasible in the building(s) we service, how much
oversight and tinkering it requires when in place. I hope over the course of
this year that we can come up with some of this information and put it into
written form.
    Second period will feature Roger Wheelock, presenting results from the
datalogger loan program, the latest on the equipment front for piano installed
systems, etc. For many if not most of us, this is the practical way to go,
either as a temporary stop gap or for the long term.
    Third period will feature CAUT's in a panel discussion, telling of their
experiences in dealing with humidity control. We'd like to have three or four
panelists. So far we have Mark Cramer lined up, so if there are others who
would like to volunteer, we'd like to hear from you.
Regards,
Fred Sturm (in the guise of co-chair of the caut committee)