New Bostons

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:44:53 -0600

Hi Tim,
               I hope you did not think I was critiquing your approach to
steam,  that was far from the intent.  My major use of steam is for
touching up the crown of U1 practice pianos, no time, no money, so it's the
most expedient.  The key is not letting those grooves form too deep.
The second use is rock hard Asian hammers, were I get aggressive with the
steam prior to needling,
It's a cost effective approach where you know the client will never pay for
a complete job.
Like all techniques, you have to find the one that works for you.
One very positive thing that I find happening.  There are far more
technician's today, taking an holistic approach to our craft.  Looking at
the musicality of the instrument, and doing some thing about  it.
Since this is a University tech's forum, I feel comfortable that the
competence level is higher than average, and that good judgement prevails.
In a perfect world, we would have premium hammers to work with, and be
regularly given 4 hrs to voice them for  max results.  Well no harm in
dreaming.

Regards Roger