New Bostons

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:04:19 -0600

I stand by my comments about steam voicing.  I wouldn't have earlier,
but after reading posts on this list about it I have tempered how I use
it.  I am not over steaming as Roger suggests.  I also use the exact
procedures and materials one is supposed to.  I use it, but only as a
last resort.  Misting and needles are used first.  If that fails to get
the results I need, I steam very sparingly.

I used to be a die hard steam advocate.  You can check the archives on
this listserve if you don't beleive me.
You can also read the cautions I read and the amount of money spent by
some manufactures replacing hammers.  One must be very careful.  I have
sets of hammers that still sound fabulous from steam.  I have sets that
are slightly thuddy.  I'm not talking about great pianos that sound
slightly thuddy, it could just be lousy hammers.

Tim Coates
Wapin Company LLP