HVAC

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:22:07 -0500

In my original post, I am guilty of giving you all a VERY condensed
version of the report that the company that did the assessment gave
us.  This baby's some 70-80 pages long and very in depth.

Jeff Tanner wrote:

>Hi Chris,
>You wrote:
>>- If we install the proper equipment, the building walls have no
>>vapor barrier and therefor any increased humidity would simply go
>>through the walls and outside.  This would cause steel girders to
>>rust and the mortar in the brick to breakdown and actually stain.
>>(called efflorescence, for vocabulary buffs)
>>
>>- Ditto for the roof.
>
>I think I'm gonna call "BS" here.  What is your indoor RH during the
>summer?  and why would the effects of high summer RH on the steel girders
>and mortar be any different from trying to bring winter RH up to 42%?

This is not my field, obviously, but as I understand it the problem
comes when the humidity, vapor for a better word, goes through the
wall it comes into contact with cold, outside air.  It then condenses
on interior surfaces and that is what will cause rusting of bare
steel.

This is a long term problem I take it.  I doubt the building would
fall down after the first winter from rust and loose mortar.

Eric Wolfley wrote:

>got the
>humidity up to 40% in the dead of winter. Everyone thanked me, the pianos
>didn't go 40 cents flat, and sounded good. Then all the bad building things
>started happening....during a below zero cold snap, all the windows iced up
>(1/4 inch thick on some), the doors had so much ice dripping off the bottom
that they wouldn't close, and so on.

This, I believe, would be the most immediate problem in trying to
humidify this building without vapor barriers and insulated, double
glazed windows.  Everywhere that the humidified air comes into
contact with cold, outside air, it will condensate and or freeze.

Dale wrote what I think is the best solution so far:

           A very good micro brew in a cold mug!

--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University