Richard, Isaac & euro-gunk

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:59:37 +0100

Hello,

I've noticed oily residues around the center pin bushings) that turns
to be as soap after years on mainly old pianos. As I never heard of
using anything but Ballistol in these regions (and in my early days
too) I tend to believe that this is old Ballistol , needless to say
the product is not acting as a lubricant anymore.

I've noticed too some kind of greenish stuff, may be probably some
kind of VJ lube Vaseline, mutton tallow, may be colored by the green
of the brass spring. I've been made cautious about the use of mutton
tallow for its acidity that will corrode the spring (indeed acidity
may well leave the spring out of corrosion I guess)..

I have no other idea actually .

Thanks for asking !

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.