Richard, Isaac & euro-gunk

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:56:18 -0600

I'm currently 'r&r'-ing the wips for an August-Forster action. The spring
slots have an amber-colored, paste-like friction treatment which has left a
greenish coating on the springs.

Wait, it's not as bad as you think. The green stuff wipes off easily, the
springs are shiny and smooth, and slip freely within the groove. This action
is eighty-years old, though it looks brand new.

I see no reason to remove the gunk and attempt to replace it with something
else. I'd just like to know what it is, and if indeed there are any concerns
leaving it behind.

I'm sure those of you working with European instruments will have an answer,
especially Richard or Isaac.

BTW, just 3 feet south of where I'm sitting, (on the other side of my office
window), it is approaching 40 degrees below, with a wind-chill warning that
exposed flesh freezes in 30 seconds or less.

You would think I was typing this from the International Space Station or
the South Pole, but alas it's just Manitoba in January!  :>)

Mark "happy to have an 'inside' job" Cramer
Brandon University