Yamaha Key bushings Leather

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:00:02 -0600

Hi Dale,
                 Welcome to sanity and respect.
My good friend Ted Sambell, turned me on to the Kangaroo leather from
Schaff, it's sold under player parts.  It's fairly consistent at .050" thick.
You need a good cutter board and rotary cutter, to cut the required strips.
Lay the leather on the board. Cut the hide in half with a long straight
edge.  Use 3 or 4 bushing cauls to align the straight edge to make the next
cut. Slice away.
I have used it on balance rails only, but the C3's I did a year ago, ( In
university use) is standing up very well, and it's not noisy like the
Renner leather.
Sizing the mortice before bushing is very important for good results.
After  the keys are bushed, we dust the leather with Teflon powder.
I think the majority of wear to the FR bushing, is caused  by the wear on
the balance rail bushings, that will cause the key to tilt.  Just my own
theory.
Regards Roger