Budget Cuts

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:06:08 -0500

>At least I still have a job! Any of us could probably do well enough in
>the self-employed area, but no paid vacations, oh my! : )
>
>John Minor
>University of Illinois

Let's see John,
The average CAUT makes $39K, which with the value of benefits added is
roughly $50-55K (about $51K here).  Let's say your tuning fee is, oh, $75.

3 tuning equivalents a day times five days a week times 48 weeks a year.
That's $54K.  You've added in your 4 weeks of vacation and should be
netting more than the average full time CAUT, by the time you get to deduct
commute mileage, tool purchases, etc., which you can't do as an employee.
You haven't added in the extra 14 days of state holidays, but you can more
than cover that by adding one extra tuning equivalent per week, or sell a
few Dampp-Chaser systems or piano covers or something. (we only earn 15
days a year here for paid vacation rather than the 20 I figured in, and my
understanding is that now they've cut that to 12, so I'm not all that far
off)

And the list discussed that one value of being a university employee being
free or reduced tuition for family members.  Well, that just ain't so.  We
don't have it here, and my assistant dean told me that it is pretty much
being phased out nation wide.

My BIGGEST scare about going private is insurance.  Health insurance
companies can pretty much charge you what they want to charge as you get
older or if you have health problems.  I know techs who have taken huge pay
cuts from their private clientele to accept very low salaried positions at
institutions simply because they could not get health insurance any other
way.

Life Insurance would be similar.

It is also tougher to get loans approved when you're self employed than
when you have a steady, predictable paycheck from an employer to show
lenders.

If we could get the 80/20 rule of economics back a little closer to
balanced in our country, these budget problems will all go away.  But I'm
afraid we've spoiled the wealthy class for too long now and it's going to
be difficult to recover from.

My thoughts,
Jeff