Institutional tuning cost

Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:36:28 +0100

Sorry to jump in late on this.

I have about 70 % of my work on contract and most of that is by the
hour. Personally I think a full time salary of about 50 grand a year for
CAUT like work is plenty reasonable for the schools. Course that means
the piano tech should be expected to put out the equivalant of 4 tunings
a day 5 days a week.

My own situation at the UiB is 3 days a week for 40 weeks. Two days each
week are for tuning and basic service, and the third day is for
rebuild...mostly action work. If the University had to pay for this at
spot market prices for each job.... they'd be able to afford about a
quarter of what a decent piano tech can get done.

The numbers you give below are conservative, but reasonable non the
less.

RicB