Institutional tuning cost

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:40:00 -0700

    As a variant on what Mark describes, I deal with a small institutional
contract I have (private school with about 15 pianos) on a per service basis,
defining a service as a tuning plus 20 minutes other work. I do small things as
they come up (broken strings, glue loose hammer heads, tighten action screws),
but bank much of the 20 minute segment for relatively large jobs (like filing
hammers, major regulation). What I like most is, as Mark describes, avoiding
the hassle factor of getting every minute of my time approved ahead. I charge
retail price. 30 to 40 minutes, at a higher rate, would probably be better for
a university level situation (this is mid and high school - realtively low wear
and tear).
Regards,
Fred