Institutional tuning cost

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:18:58 -0600

I was just going to ask if anyone else charged for tuning by-the-hour. This
was actually the Dean's suggestion here when I began, conveying the fact
they recognized the value and need for time spent for things other than
tuning. It has worked out so well, I've adopted it for my private clientele.

When a private client asks what my price for tuning is, instead of replying
$90.00, I now tell them "a service appointment will be $90.00 for up to 1
1/2 hours."

How simple this has made things! Instead of having to "mother may I" (I love
that one David!) and explain pitch correction, and differentiate between
tuning and ,... (Have you ever noticed there are somethings both the clients
and ourselves hate equally? Why not change it?)

I simply inform the client, if and when "today's service will require more
than 1 1/2 hours to complete." And, it is much easier to explain why;
"simply because it has gone tooo long between tunings, or lack of climate
protection."  BTW, I bill to the next 1/2 hour, which seems reasonable to
all.

Another thing I've recently adopted is a 1-hour ($60.00) minimum charge.
This really put things into perspective. Certainly there are many services
you can offer in 10 or 15 minutes (a sticking key, etc.) but, can we really
redeem the remainder of that hour (private clientele) in a tangible way?

And, does the client really intend that we take our billable hour, charge
them only for what they've consumed, then throw the rest of it away? I don't
think so.

I'm sure many of you already do this, some of us just take a little longer
(try 19 years!) to think things through. In any case, what seems best is to
establish your pricing based on your personal needs and let your client
decide.

BTW, here's my current favourite story,... yes, the one all my local
colleagues have each heard  eleventy- billion times! :>)

While tuning, a new client asked if I would also reglue several sharps her
son had pried off their 1980's console-sized PSO.

Neither desiring their repeat business, (The young lad exhibited that kind
of potential, if you know what I mean!) nor wanting to offend the owner by
"saying so," I offered to demonstrate how she could easily reglue any in
future, and which glue to use.

Well this woman, though polite, couldn't have cared less. She just kind of
giggled and said, "well I can always call you back, if needs be."
(Obviously not much ESP going on there!)

In fact, "needs DID be!" In less than a week she was on the phone giggling
again about how the young rascal had managed to pop a few more off, and if I
wouldn't mind,...

Well here it is folks, the 1-hour minimum at work:

I was able to be most friendly and polite, replying that I would be pleased
to come and reglue these keys for her, however there is a 1-hour minimum
charge for the service call. "How much" she asked? Sixty dollars plus taxes.

Let me tell you, she immediately became most interested in what kind of glue
I had used and where she could buy it!

I've also had clients with small things (squeeking pedal, etc.) quite
pleased to have and pay for the service. I don't think I've offended anyone,
and never come away feeling I've been anything less than appropriately
compensated for my time.

The hourly rate in an institution has worked equally well, in that
instruments requiring more time get it, and those merely requiring a
touch-up save money.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University