tuning cost

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:30:57 -0500

At 03:05 PM 1/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Whew!
>     For a while, I wasn't the lowest bidder, and the university gig
> vacation was nice. Once again I've got the contract, and I did it at my
> "regular" institutional price of $60 per, which is based on my standard
> fee less discount. What is you standard "outside" fee?

$125.

>Seems like $40 per is low, but.... how do we define "tuning", right?

smile when you say that :-)

Formerly a non budgeted school for maintenance aside from semi annual tunings.

I took over five years ago when their RPT retired, who was charging
25/tuning. I maintained that price for a year
and have been upping it incrementally over the years.  At least there are
no 'piano needs tuning complaints'
from the faculty once Nov/Dec rolls around.

I don't look at it from a 'low bidder' point of view. I look at it as my
contribution to community service
since this is a non-profit organization.  Besides, there are no bids to
contend with, I'm the best qualified
in the area (including RPT's, lowly associate me).

Sorry for my rant but your post put me a little on the defensive.

All the best,

Jon Page