String breakage (& Yamaha butts)

Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:39:31 +0100

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> Ken, is it the damper springs being too strong? Schwander spring too weak?
> Too strong?  I found a Chinese upright where the strength of the damper
> springs being way too strong seemed to affect the bobble more than hammer
> spring strength.  And I got _some_ confirmation on that on the list then.
> Thanks..

I think Ken sums up the pros and cons pretty well below. Tho I would think the
the control over touchweight and repetition part might be a bit overstated.
Admitedly tho... I havent seen or serviced a piano with the spring rail in over
20 years, and I hold quite open the possiblitiy that Ken could show me a few
neat tricks in that regard. Regulating the Schwander type is not something I
even bother to try in the piano. If I do find they need attention, its a bench
job... with all the guess work that entails. If someone has a trick and tool for
doing this in the piano I'd like to hear it too.

I also know about the bobble Ken mentions its possible to induce... and I find
you can get this to happen throughout the bass as well. However.... you dont
really play the piano with that touch. Someone mentioned the hammer butts with
the built in jack stop cushion. I do prefer these over the jack stop rail
myself. They stay put as it were.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne