String breakage (& yamaha butts)

Vincent E. Mrykalo mrykalve@potsdam.edu
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:22:08 -0400

Well, hammer return spring strength affects the repetition adversely
if it is too strong (or absent all together), but I'm unclear as to
why the design is superior to the spring rail type.  Maybe there is
more of a gradient strength there, where the closer the hammer gets
to the string, the stronger the spring gets, but as it falls back,
the weaker its effect becomes.  The spring rail type does that too,
but maybe with less of a spring strength gradient.
The jack stop rail will stop the jack's movement away from the buttt
so there is less wasted motion and it can get back under the buttt
quicker, theoretically anyway.