String breakage (& yamaha butts)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:41:24 -0500

Vince wrote:
>Good question, Jeff.  I have heard that it was a superior design from
>past PTG classes and such.  I'm sure you know some of the theoretical
>reasons, which have to do with improved repetition, but I wonder how
>much is transferable to real time.

Only 2 advantages I can think of is that it would eliminate squeaking from
the butt springs.  But you've still got damper springs to squeak, so what's
the difference?  The other would be that they might make it a bit less
cumbersome to access damper lever wires with the bending tool.

Haven't studied it, but it doesn't seem to me that that reverse lever
design could produce any stronger hammer return than the old spring rail
springs.  Especially if there's any tightness in the flange bushing
whatsoever.  And they're aggravating as all get out to add tension to.  And
if the spring breaks, don't you have to just about replace the whole butt?
Jeff