String breakage (& yamaha butts)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:14:54 -0500

>By the way, does anybody have a dandy way to put new cord on Yamaha butt
>flanges?  I've got some U-1s starting to break cords, so got some sets of
>flanges & cord, figuring on replacing a set or two, & then putting the new
>cord on the flanges, replacing some more, etc.  Unless I find a better way
>to put the stuff on, I'm better off buying the sets of flanges, even though
>they've about doubled in price.  Any ideas?
>
>Otto

I'd like to know, why is it that this design is so much of an improvement
over the spring rail design that it is worth making it more difficult to
remove and replace hammer butts, except to sell parts when the cord breaks?

(Hey, are these covered under warranty?)

Even Steinway is using these now, and with the jack stop rail, rather than
the felt on the catcher, accessing the butt flange screws becomes an even
more difficult challenge.  Somewhat like the Baldwin damper upstop rail
screws being located directly behind the sostenuto brackets and you've got
to get in there with a phillips.

Got no tricks.  The time or two I've replaced these cords I had to wait
quite a while while they dried.  Only had white glue in my case.  By the
way, I assume you know that you can get this cord from your local fish and
tackle shop.
Jeff