Harpsichord hitch pin loops

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:44:07 -0700

Jim,
    On the assumption you are matching double helix loops with a coil finish (the
most common, looks like bass string hitch loops):
1) You need a fixed substitute for the hitch pin. A large cup hook mounted to the
edge of a table works. Or a headless nail held in a vice. Whatever it is, it needs
to be positioned so that there are no obstructions in front of it (to allow free
movement of your hands). It should be of a large enough diameter so that the loop
formed can easily fit over the hitch pin later. (I mostly use a cup hook screwed
into the end of a dowel. I attach this with a spring clamp to the edge of my cheap,
metal harpsichord tool/supply case).
2) Pull the wire around the dummy pin, so that it goes completely around and
crosses at a right angle. You need enough "waste length" to get a good grip. 6 to
10 inches should suffice. Hold the wire in that position with one hand - the hand
that you will use throughout to hold the speaking length. You will need to have
decided whether the waste length goes over or under based on the direction you want
to the coils to go (look at one of the loops you are matching).
3) Take the hand that is not holding the wire, and place it over or under the other
hand (depending whether the waste length is over or under the speaking length) and
grab the waste length. Holding the wire taut with both hands, and so that the
string forms a right angle where it meets, rotate both arms in a full circle around
one another (easier to show than describe this sort of thing), keeping the wire
taut and at right angle at all times, so that it actually makes clear and sharp
bends/coils around itself (each bends around the other). If you have been
successful, you should be able to let go with one hand, and the wire will pretty
much stay put.
4) Repeat the above as many times as needed to create the number of coils desired.
Steady, even movement, with wire held taut at all times, and maintaining the 90
degree angle between wire ends, will allow for even, neat appearance.
5) For the finish coil, hold the speaking length of the wire taut with one hand,
pulling straight toward yourself. With the other hand, pull the waste length of
wire neatly around the speaking length. It is essential that the wire be held taut
at all times, and a bit of finesse is needed to start the coil evenly. Again, the
waste length hand lets go, and is moved around the speaking length hand to grab the
waste length again. And you make as many tight, even coils as needed to match the
original.
6) Cut the wire, leaving a short segment (match originals), which will rest on the
hitch pin rail to help assure the coils don't unwind. It is necessary to plan so
that the final direction of that bit of waste length is under the speaking length.
    A caution - don't overdo tightness of coils. If they are too tight, you will
have tail breakage. But if they are not tight enough, they'll want to unwind. You
have to use good judgment here.

Hope this helps. If it is unclear, please say so and I'll try to explain better.
It's much easier to demonstrate than describe. I'll also note that if you have a
helper, you can use a dowel with a cuphook in the end. One person holds the wire,
tautly, at a 90 degree angle, while the other rotates the dowel. With good
teamwork, this can be a very successful method of making coils (it's what the
Hubbard manual suggests). It does require a second person.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico