string breakage, defective string

Tunapianer@aol.com Tunapianer@aol.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:28:16 EST

The discussion on breakage is very enlightening.  Can anybody address the
subject of breakage re: defective string?  Is it possible that a piano could
have been manufactured with string that is defective in some way?

I deal with a Kawai baby grand that resides in a practice room used
exclusively by men.  It gets heavily abused.  It has broken most of the top
two octaves in the last year or two.  But not only that, there is an odd
buzzing that starts around middle C and proceeds for about the next two
octaves or more.  I've already checked bridge seating, and cannot locate the
source.  Any other suggestions for places to look would be welcome.  I think
it happens with agraffes and with the capo.

Not only that, but the mid and high treble strings have a really weird,
rubbery, elastic feel.  They do not respond at all to conventional hammer
technique.  When I think it's stable, then the test blow sends it diving.  I
have to leave it sharp and pound it until it stops drifting.

I do need to shape hammers, and that will help.  I'm debating whether to
replace all the strings except the bass section this summer.  Those I've
already replaced seem to have none of the problems I've mentioned.

Greg Soule
Pensacola, FL