String breakage

Vincent E. Mrykalo mrykalve@potsdam.edu
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:42:55 -0400

Lance,
It really depends on who is regularly playing the piano (if its in a
studio).  There is one prof. who after 4 years, needed to have the
capo section restrung because of breakage.  OTOH, another's has been
doing well for ten years.  So I'd expect that in the concert hall,
you would just have to judge that when they start breaking, you
should plan to do at least the capo section sometime during the year.
Once they start breaking, really no amount of shaping/voicing is
going to help much.  So the key is probably keeping them shaped and
voiced before strings start to break to get the longest life out of
the strings.